Sunday, May 20, 2012

Top 100 - Severed Heads, Dead Eyes Opened # 75



Story by Bernie

I'm going to go with one of the tracks on that list of "12 songs that made me who I am". Back in the days when I was more social, I left behind lots of little snapshots of my life: party tapes.  I know mix tapes are pretty commonly known these days, but pre-internet I didn't know that I was doing the same thing as countless other people round the world were doing.  I was young, I had just discovered a whole world of strange (and sometimes not so strange, but just non-mainstream) music and I wanted my friends to hear it all too.

It's all a bit obnoxious, really, in retrospect, but I really enjoyed sharing my discoveries with my friends.  And, to be honest, I think I also enjoyed weirding them out a little bit.  How strange that after all those years in high school desperately trying to "fit in", at uni I now felt the need to "stand out".

Anyway, it became a bit of a tradition for me to turn up to parties hosted by my uni friends armed with a party tape.  I think as the years went on they started to resent those tapes more and more, but it was fun at first.  The first tape I did was for "The Red Party" at Baptist St, Surry Hills in 1984. And the opening track on that tape was a pause-button edit mix of "Dead Eyes Opened" by Severed Heads.  Pause-button edits was another one of those things that I've since discovered that other people did.  I guess my music nerd-dom started fairly early.  So this pause-button edit mix started with the original 12" version of "Dead Eyes Opened" (not one of the many later versions) played at 33rpm instead of 45 until just before the voice kicks in, then Pause!  Slip in the robotic "1-2-3-4" that opens New Order's "Hurt" (import 12" version, of course, with the gorgeous Peter Saville cover) then pause and add in the full 12" version of "Dead Eyes Opened".  Not a complex mix, but a bit of tomfoolery for the party.

As for the Red Party itself, well I'm not big on themed parties but red was the theme and Fiona and I decided to do our hair red.  It must have been one of our first parties together.  Of course, I was too much of a coward to do it properly (my transition from medium-length northern beaches scene hair to something approximating a gelled-up 80s style not having gone down very well at home) so we got a can of this red hair spray stuff that would wash out.  Of course, we discovered by the end of the evening that it also just dropped out, and rubbed off on our collars, car seats...   

Artwork by Karin



  

No comments:

Post a Comment