Friday, May 25, 2012

Top 100 - Out On The Weekend, Neil Young # 83


Story by Josh



The album ‘Harvest’ was a permanent fixture in our cassette/cd player while growing up, and each of my siblings and I can recall different memories while listening to the album.

The opening tunes of “Out on the Weekend”, the first track of the album, take me back to: days driving along the Sturt Highway to our family holiday house on the Murray River;  Summer nights sitting around bonfires after spending the day waterskiing; family BBQs and gathering where our parents and their friends would sit around the table drinking wine and playing cards while us kids were running through the neighbourhood playing spotlight; but most significantly, the afternoon of 18 November 2010, where the album was being played in the background as my siblings and I sat in the family room surrounding our Mum as she slipped away from us.

Now, when the song is played, usually in my car while I am driving along the highway, tears of sadness fill my eyes...but other times, it brings a smile to my face.


Artwork by Karin





No comments:

Post a Comment