Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Top 100, Edie (ciao baby), The Cult # 66

Story by John



I have a plethora of songs in my head that could be in a mix like this and i even made up a sort of 'back to mine' disc for a significant birthday a while ago and gave each of my guests a copy as their present from me to them on that momentous occasion, so there are many songs rich in meaning for me... 

but if forced to be pithy and choose a single track with a personal story to go with it i think i'd go for:

"edie (ciao baby)" by the cult

this is a beautiful, strongly rocked out track that hit home to me as i drove up to sydney along the dual carriageway of the hume on a magically sunny morning about twelve or thirteen years back with the cult's 'sonic temple' in the borrowed car's cd player turned up loud (as it should be).  i was on the way to sydney for the funeral of a friend.  he had been a closest friend of a previous partner and whom i had come to know well and love for his own sake. he [stupidly] died in an epilleptic fit having eschewed his medication, far far too young for the fine, razor intellected and soft-natured man he was.  i had photographed him for a study in my photography course a few months before and i think that showing him prints had been the last time i saw him.  i knew the song well but it resonated at this playing in a way i'd never before imagined of it.  'edie' powerfully mourns the too-early loss of edie sedgwick, a warhol girl, with its beautiful imagery and the, to me, heart-stopping refrain, 'why did you kiss the world goodbye?': a question to which i had no answer and which echoed and exploded in a chasm churning inside me as i drove with tears welling more and more until i had to pull over, play it again, and drive on to make my last visit with his earthly frame.  i can't hear or even think of the song without it bringing to mind the last time i saw david, in a box, in a perfect corpse pose, a peaceful visage - a signal to me to live life fully.  ciao, baby...

Artwork by Karin





No comments:

Post a Comment