Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Top 100, Island In the Sun, Harry Belafonte # 58

Story by Annemarie


I have thought of two or three songs that mean a lot to me. The first one is an old Austrian Folksong it is a Lullaby and it goes back when I was little.It is called : Heitschi Bumbeitschi :It is about Angels and a little Boy  being sung to sleep .Although the version we sung in school was about a Mother .

My second song is Harry Belafonte’s : Island in the Sun :, I heard it in the late fifties back home and remember  my Ear being glued to the Radio on Sunday’s,  when the Hit parade was  being played for an hour . Catharina Valente sung it in German So at least I understood what the words meant .I thought that Australia looked like that and the original owners looked like Harry Belafonte !! He still is my favourite male Singer  .

My third Song is Janis Ian ‘s :The other side of the sun : My friend Inge bought it the cassette for me in the late seventies. It has a lot of meaning and I kept playing it over and over .I still love it and I am playing it know as I write to you Janis Ian is my favourite female singer .

All this brings back Memories ,Karin .When Inge asked me to come with her one evening ,all those years ago and we walked in Len was playing :Island in the Sun .


Artwork by Karin







No comments:

Post a Comment