Monday, May 28, 2012

Top 100 - Rock Lobster, B52's # 90



Story by Miranda

The soundtrack of my early years was dominated by CountDown. In our house Molly was compulsory family viewing. We'd help mum build a bed with doonas and pillows in the middle of the lounge room floor and snuggle down for half an hour of cool. And the coolest of them all to my way of thinking was and still is the b52s classic Rock Lobster.
                                   
When I was a child I'm sure it was the bright costumes and dodgy lighting effects in the film clip that appealed, but now I just love the way the group sing even the most ridiculous lyrics with utter conviction. They are 'seriously silly' - and that's something worth celebrating and emulating. Whenever I hear the opening notes I scramble to my feet and get ready for 4 odd minutes of unabandoned grooving. This song is joy to me - it is jumping around the lounge room with my mum - it is late night/early morning requests at dodgy Brisbane nightclubs in the mid-90s and it featured on the playlist at my wedding.


Artwork by Karin







No comments:

Post a Comment