Sunday, May 6, 2012

Top 100 - It's Tricky, Run DMC # 52


Story by Thomas


So my brother was obsessed with becoming a DJ when he was like 13 and he won some turntables off video hits. We had an elvis impersonating rock’n’roll obsessed neighbour with a massive collection of 50s records. Somehow he got a copy of Run DMC’s raising hell. Obviously this wasn’t his cup of tea so he gave it to my brother. This was my first exposure to old school hip-hop because I was a rap-hating 90s skater punk listening chump. So we would sit in the front room of our house in B-Town and crank up It’s Tricky and rap along pretending we were some cool black guys from queens in the early 80s when we were actually white kids in Bendigo. The first four tracks from the album are Peter Piper, It’s Tricky, My Adidas and Walk This Way. If that is not still the best four opening tracks to a hip hop album I’d be shocked.


Artwork by Karin








No comments:

Post a Comment