Thursday, March 5, 2015

Wish You Were Here - Istanbul

After months of stressful work, a long weekend weekend in Istanbul seems the perfect break. 

It’s Eid and the city is shoulder-to-shoulder from Sultanahmet to Taksim Square. I spend the weekend walking through seaside suburbs, crossing the Bosporus from Europe to Asia and back again, weaving my way through the crowds. It feels blissful to fall into bed each night physically exhausted and leg-sore. 

On my last day, I tour the food markets, taking in the bright colours and pungent smells and eating everything. My highlight is a plateful of waterbuffalo clotted cream with fresh figs and wild honey. I love this city. The blend of ancient and new. The tourist junk and incredible street style, the Orient meets modern Europe. 

Next time we'll go together.

Jane


No comments:

Post a Comment