Saturday, January 23, 2010

My Place & Yours - What I'm Reading

My Place and Yours has moved - check out its new home.

So this weeks theme is about what I'm reading, and I'm reading The Rugmaker of Mazar-e-Sharif. I didn't really choose this book - it chose me as I'm reading it for work.

With Australia's obsession with asylum seekers I would recommend that everyone reads it. It is the first book-length account of and asylum seeker in Australia and it traces the story of an Afghani refugee’s journey from shepherd boy in the mountains of northern Afghanistan and his flight from torture and certain death by the Taliban, to owner of a successful traditional rug shop in Melbourne.

I love stories that come out of that part of the world. Movies about Afghanistan and particularly Iranian films are full of beautiful images, words and stories. While often the subject matter is heart breaking, the culture of story telling means that even the saddest of stories is told in a way that is mesmerising, honest and the strength of character of the people portrayed gives you hope. Just like this book.

9 comments:

  1. I'm reading this book for work too! How funny! What do you do? I'm teaching it this year for Year 12 English. I've just started it, so I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it.
    Sophie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fear if I were to read this I would end up a blubbering mess... always happens with this sort of thing I'm afraid...!

    Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds mesmerising as real-life stories often are

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the recommendation. I am going to definitely find and read that one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh congratulations on reading this. I know of it and would never be able to cope with the heartbreak. Well done ... see you next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like just the sort of book that I like reading, thanks for sharing. I think i'll give it a go (when I get through the pile already waiting beside my bed).

    ReplyDelete
  7. oooh... I teach refugee children English here in Adelaide, most of whome are Afghani cherubs. Thanks for the heads up, this book sounds very interesting.

    I am always amazed by the horror these little tackers and their families go through before settling into their new life. One of my students last year spent months on a boat from Iran, made it all the way to Jakarta, but was stopped by ocean police and sent to Christmas Island. He and his family loved living at the detention center. This surprised me, as I had imagined it to be a horrible place. They said they had incredible support workers and were looked after and schooled by wonderful teachers. Whenever we would do art therapy in class he would draw the island with little red dots all covering the land - those pesky Christmas Island crabs lol. sorry that was a paragraph or two.... I'm just a bit passionate about my job and these beautiful people's lives. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracey - you should definitely read this book! What a fantastic job you have and such a great story about the drawing with those crabs. It is wonderful to hear such a positive experience when the media is full of anything but. Thank you so much for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Think I have to agree that it would be way too sad for me to read, but it sounds like an excellent book as a gift for my husband. I actually admire people who can read this genre of books and see similar movies. Thanks for sharing.

    and Tracey.....don't apologise pls. That was a lovely paragraph or two! :^)

    ReplyDelete