Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Soft Sculpture

Dear Soft Sculpture Curators

I don't mean to be picky, but that Jim Dine work 'An Animal' isn't a sculpture...it's kind of a painting.

I wasn't going to mention it, but after seeing the exhibition on the long weekend I couldn't stop thinking about it. And, because I'm not one to make a fool of myself on the internet, I checked a few things. One of the sites I checked was yours and the NGA website says this about the work:

'An animal is one of a group of paintings which Dine began at the end of 1961 in which the legacy of Abstract Expressionism is still apparent in the free, painterly technique, but is combined with real objects fixed to the surface of their written equivalents.'

Anyways, Soft Sculpture is on until 12 July at the National Gallery in Canberra if you want to go see a bunch of sculptures and a Jim Dine painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment