Wednesday, December 29, 2010

52 Books in 52 weeks - # 1 A Fine Balance

I've decided to give up pay tv, which is a bold move - but not really seeing I haven't turned the tv on in over a week...Instead of watching tv I'm going to read, which is something I have forgotten I enjoy doing. And a book a week can't be that hard, surely?

I started with A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry. It is an amazing book set in India during the mid 70's, and follows the story of four characters from very different backgrounds. It provides a wonderful illustration of Indian culture, the government during those troubled times and the injustice of the caste system. I couldn't put it down. It will make you laugh and it will shock you, but you should read it. Plus it did make me crave Indian food - but that's just because I'm shallow and uncultured and motivated by food more than I should be.

7 comments:

  1. Excellent - I am looking forward to reading about this challenge!
    I tried to read 50 books this year... Some told me I was setting myself an impossible goal (they were right). I didn't quite get there, but I've got plenty of recommendations for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's so shallow and uncultured about being motivated by food?


    Mmmmmm, curry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh - recommendations would be happily received! I've been told I won't be able to do 52 but I'm going to give it a crack.

    Bernie - not really shallow except in the context of the book, which is a quite a harrowing story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you be counting each book of the Bible seperately within the 52?

    ReplyDelete
  5. At this stage of only 32 pages into my second book - that thought is very tempting.

    But no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can do it! My friend Amanda did it last year. Just mix up the literature with the easy lit & you'll be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bingo Alli - that is most definitely the key. Book 2 took half a day. I felt a bit dirty, but a gals gotta do what a gals gotta do.

    ReplyDelete