Friday, December 18, 2009

Crush

I was out to dinner with a friend last night and we were talking about her little girl who has a big crush on an older man.

Now I've been very open about the fact that I have a million crushes on the go, and fall in and out of crush at the drop of a hat. I even outed myself in an online exhibition and followed it up by letting the world know my crush secrets at the gallery version of the show.

Day 6 "Crush" 15th June.

Today's work I'm giving to myself. Why? Because I don't have the courage to give it to anyone else!

I was thinking about crushes today and began to make Day 6. Is my work too literal, with all the words and images and explanations? Probably, but for this work when I look around my home and there are heart shapes everywhere...light fittings, jewellery, bowls, mugs, and artwork in every room - no wonder it was an easy reference point.

Then I remembered all the prints I made at uni, full of heart shapes - ripping off Jim Dine before I even knew who Jim Dine was. I'm back to where it all started. But back then it was okay to have a crush on my printmaking lecturer and every member of Sonic Youth ( even Kim Gordon), but now?


So anyways I recalled my first crush to her. When I was about 5, I had the biggest crush on a family friend who was about 20. When I was telling my friend I explained that one year I went to see his band play and he got up on stage and told the crowd it was a very special ladies birthday and pulled me up on stage.

And as soon as I said he was in a band, my friend groaned. Actually I think I groaned too.

I think this adoration at age 5 set the scene for my crushes for the rest of my life...pretty much until right now. He was a drummer and turns out I married a drummer. Oops, that didn't actually work out so well, but it is still pretty funny.

I'm kind of crush less at the moment...any suggestions?

Update: Have found new crush. Quite predictably the catalyst of this crush was someones response to a witty comment on twitter. But if nothing I'm consistent...comment came from the newish drummer of one of my favourite bands. Internet did I hear a groan?

No comments:

Post a Comment