Saturday, August 17, 2013

Blood orange season

I for one am always happy for blood orange season, the purply red juice is so exotic and short lived. When I was little you didn't see it in Australia much, but in the homeland blood oranges made appearances when I was in town. They came from the supermarket wrapped in white pretty patterned grease paper straight from sunny Spain. I always remember them sitting in the bowl next to the kiwi (also very exotic in those parts und gut für gesund!) and to be honest with you I don't think I really liked them much, it was just more that I liked the fact that they were wrapped up like a little gift.

Today at the farmers market they were in full force so I couldn't resist buying some fruit (to make blood orange and walnut salad) and some fresh juice to mix with liquor. This tastes like spring is just around the corner - gin, fresh orange juice and a dash of blood orange. 





No comments:

Post a Comment