Sunday, August 2, 2009

Chicken with cider



I have so much spinach growing in my garden at the moment, so wanted to use some for my dinner tonight. I remembered a tapas dish I had in Seville - chickpeas with spinach, so drew inspiration from that as well as some local cider I bought the other day on recommendation from my local bottle-shop.

The cider was a bit too dry for my palate which is why it ended up in this and not in my glass*:

Brown about a kilo of chicken thighs in some olive oil

Take chicken out of pan and brown about 5 small onions quartered and some crushed garlic

Add a sliced chorizo and cook for about 5 minutes

Chuck in a glass or two of cider, some saffron and bring to the boil.

Now take that off the hot-plate and put everything in a clay pot or casserole dish, add a can of chickpeas and some olives and a bit of salt

Cook in a preheated oven (180 degrees) for about an hour

Pull it out of the oven and add a big handful of spinach. Just put it in and pop the lid back on. No need to put it back in the oven as the spinach will cook from the heat

I ate mine with mash potato and some just boiled asparagus and green beens dressed in lemon juice and olive oil. It was yum.

*Instead of cider I made a cocktail of vodka, mandarin juice and sparkling wine...so don't feel too bad for me

No comments:

Post a Comment