Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Al Quoz, Dubai - best of three (Mojo Gallery)


Hidden away in Dubai is a fantastic art warehouse complex smack bang in the middle of nowhere really. A big industrial complex with dozens of galleries, some featuring amazing work - others average commercial spaces. I'm just going to post about my favourite three featuring interesting contemporary works from middle eastern artists (and an artist from Korea just to mix things up.

Mojo Gallery is a small gallery at number 33 Alserkal Avenue and they had just opened an exhibition by British artist Hatty Pedder, which focussed on her relationship with the city of Beirut. The mixed media pieces reminded me of my own work - just executed better. I'd done a series of collages at uni made on a background of perspex and now I wish I'd done a better job of photographing my stuff, because sometimes you forget what you've done and what works well (though coincidently I'd started making collages again at the beginning of this trip...but enough about me). 

Hatty's collages are a clever combination of details of daily interactions in the city of Beirut, set in a background of vivid colour. You can read more about her work here.





No comments:

Post a Comment