Thursday, October 25, 2012

Smells like home


Lilac is a very European thing. Frank came for a visit and he reminisced about Vienna and catching trams in the city in spring, with lilac heavy in the air. When I was little he planted a tree and he would go and smell the blooms throughout spring for a reminder of home.

My mother loves lilac the most, and I was sad she couldn't come to visit to see the garden at its best. Deep shades of purple and the air heavy and sweet. Walking the dog is a dream of hidden blooms - around every corner and where I can, I sneak a piece for the journey home.

Even the Russian visiting for an evening dinner rushed out to the garden and was amazed how the sweet smell took her back home to Romania (don't ask). I wish I could upload the smell here. It is divine and dreamy thing - the smell of a garden moving from winter, to spring and then summer.

1 comment: